Energia Powering Keelings Growth
Energia has a new key account and we're extremely proud to be the power behind their produce!
Keelings are the company behind the produce of a vast array of fruits and salads more than 100 years – here in Ireland! Yes, we’re telling the truth. Who knew rainy Ireland of all places could be such growing haven for so many delicious fruits of labour?!
Let us tell you a few facts powering Keelings growth.
With produce available in 7 major retail supermarkets in Ireland, and shipped globally, we’re sure Keelings require a lot of energy to power their farms and business every single day.
- The origin of Keelings stretches all the way back to 1896 when the family worked from a farm in Donabate in County Dublin.
- Their current farm was established in 1926 and their first main crop was rhubarb.
- Come the 30s, Keelings were supplying fruits and salads to bustling Dublin markets….’Get your tomatoes…’
- They first planted their famous strawberries in 1937
- Bramley apples followed in 1949 due to demand after the barren post-war period.
- From the 60s through to the 90s, the Keelings invested in glasshouses to nurture growth and improve the quality of fruits, including tomatoes.
- After business growth in the 70s and 80s, the Keelings started to ship produce throughout Ireland, the UK and European markets, together with a strong focus on also sourcing fresh produce into Ireland from around the world.
- Today Keelings continue to grow and innovate, with proud portfolio including eating apples, pears, cheeries, a variety of berries, strawberries and more!
Commenting on the agreement, William Keeling, CEO, Food Central said;
“Keelings is one of the companies located at Food Central, the international Food Park which is wholly owned by the Keeling family, and located beside Dublin Airport and near Dublin Port. Keelings is very happy to mark this supplier contract with Energia into 2019.”
Under the agreement, Energia expects to supply Keelings with 1.5 GW of electricity per annum across all of the fresh fruit producer’s sites. Energia has to date supplied insulation, cooling, lighting and burner solutions for Keelings.
Alan Mulcahy, Sales Director Energia commented;
“We are delighted to announce our partnership with Keelings. Like Energia, Keelings is a business that serves communities all across Ireland, and is one that is committed to sustainably growing in the future to meet the needs of their Irish and international customers. We are looking forward to working with the Keelings team and support in the ambitions of this Irish success story.”
“The supply deal, offering cheaper energy costs to Keeling’s, completes the circle as Keeling’s have installed energy efficient equipment to lower their consumption.”
Energia is proud to be the power behind Keelings.
Read the full press release here.
Facts from keelings.ie