Energia Group, one of Ireland’s leading integrated energy businesses has announced that it will invest in excess of €550,000 over the course of 2021 in its wind farm community benefit funds across the island of Ireland. This brings the company’s overall community wind farm investment to date to just over €2 million.
A selection of projects who will benefit from the funds in 2021 are:
- The Dojo Juniors: Based in Ballymena, this junior amateur ju-jitsu and mixed martial arts charity prides itself in local outreach to children within the Ballymena area.
- Edenderry Rural Community Association: Providing a range of educational, recreation and social activities for the rural community of Omagh and surrounding areas, the group is focused on developing a safe place where people live in a shared community.
- Termon Community Responders: A team of 22 local volunteers trained in emergency first aid, the Termon Community Responders were set up to attend and respond to emergency calls within five miles of Carrickmore, County Tyrone. They plan to use the funding to purchase defibrillators.
- Broughshane & District Community Association Limited: Nestled at the bottom of Mount Slemish, the group promotes community relations and communication between various groups within their local society.
- Meenadreen Scholarship Grants: Five students from the surrounding areas of Meenadreen, County Donegal have received grants totalling almost €40,000 to support them in Third-Level education.
Managing Director of Energia Renewables, Peter Baillie, says: "Energia is working with community funding experts, the Community Foundation for Ireland, Community Foundation NI and Fermanagh Trust, to ensure our funding has the maximum positive and lasting impact in the areas where we operate."
“Without support from Community Benefit Funds, many valuable rural initiatives would struggle to find funding and it’s crucial that communities see tangible benefits from renewables as part of a just energy transition.”
Further information on Community Benefit Funds is available at www.communityfoundation.ie/